Monday, November 7, 2011

A Peek into Process

Alright, this is the first post of my blog. I guess the first thing I'm going to talk about is my process for how I used to figure out how I was going to draw an issue of Wolverine. If you've got a copy go Wolverine #167 around, this may be fun for you.

The first thing that I would do is to read the script at least twice. The first time is to get an idea of what the story is, the second is to note up the margins with sketches or thoughts on each scene.

The next thing I would do is to lay the entire book out on one piece of 11X17 piece of copy paper. Yes, the whole thing. I'm an avid fan of flow so this was the best way for me to figure things out in one place. It'd usually take me about a day to a day and a half to do this.

This is what Wolverine #167 looked like in layout stage:
Wolverine #167 Layouts
After reviewing the layouts, I would pencil each page, in order. For contexts sake, here are what the first four pages looked like in pencil. (Note for page 2, I used my alt layout)

Wolverine #167 page 1
Wolverine #167 page 2-3
Wolverine #167 page 4
From here, I'd send scans to my editor and get them approved before I'd send them to the inker.
Anyhow, that's a little peek into my process. I'll get more detailed as time progresses and I get a little more seasoned at this blog thing. Until next time....
~FRAGABOOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment